A sleeping backpacking bag is one of the most important pieces of overnight gear you must not leave behind when going for an outdoor adventure like camping or hiking. Outdoors are nothing like the confines of your home in providing shelter and comfort.
Whereas tents and canopies can go as much as shading you from the elements in normal weather conditions, they cannot do the job alone when extreme weather hits, which is very likely. You will eventually need the best sleeping bag if you want to survive and enjoy your outdoor adventures.
How to choose the best backpacking sleeping bags
Here is a quick video that can help you a lot in selecting the best backpacking sleeping bags
Didn’t like the video, Read below instead –
Provides warmth and safety
The best sleeping bags replace blankets and duvets, thus keeping you safe and comfortable throughout the night whether you are sleeping on the cold floors of hills or the sandy grounds of a desert. They are made of fabrics that help to regulate natural temperatures so you never get hot and sweaty in the summer or cold and chilly in the winter.
Snugly covers your body
Another benefit of backpack sleeping bags is that they prevent you from kicking off the covers at the night, especially if you kick a lot while sleeping. Unlike traditional blankets and sheets, with them, you cannot wriggle yourself out or tangle in the sheets. They fit snugly; therefore, your body gets the required rest it needs at a constant and comfortable temperature throughout the night.
Asides from the obvious benefit of providing warmth and comfort, the best backpacking sleeping bags are cost-effective because they cost less to purchase than several blankets and sheets. They give you great value for your money because they are durable and long-lasting.
Some features of the Best Sleeping Bags
Backpacking sleeping bags come in different temperature ratings and the choice of the temperature rating should be a function of the climate you will most likely face when outdoors. There are bags that have temperature ratings considered good for spring, summer, and fall seasons. You should also know the best sleeping weather condition for you because this will help narrow your search to a reasonable fee.
The best backpacking sleeping bags try to strike a balance between warmth, comfort, and weight. These bags usually weigh less than 4 pounds. They contain high-performance materials that are lightweight but uncompromising to allow you to keep weight low without jeopardizing comfort or safety.
The insulation type you choose is dependent on the weather condition and your budget. There are two main types: down and synthetic insulations. Sleeping bags with down insulation are more expensive and are better warming than the synthetic type. They also last longer and weigh lesser. The synthetic types are less expensive and retain heat better when wet. They dry quickly but are also bulkier and heavier than the down type.
Pick a sleeping backpack that is suitable for your height and has enough width to accommodate you when you toss and turn at night. A long-size bag will be a better fit to pull over your head on very cold nights. However, a bag that has too much width will have a larger area for the heat to escape and will prevent your body from getting the needed warmth
Check here we have inlist some best Sleeping bags
Suisse Sport Adventurer Sleeping Bag
This is a double-layer offset quilt design backpacking sleeping bag with a mummy-style that is light in weight. It comes with a compression storage sack that packs down to 12 x 7 x 7 inches as well as a hood and a draw-cord. It comes in both left and right-hand models, thus allowing people to zip themselves in easier.
Its lowest temperature rating is 30 degrees Fahrenheit in ideal dry conditions and the ideal comfort range is 40-50 degrees. This makes it good for spring, summer, and fall.
- The stuff sack is made of black textured, rip-stop polyester.
- It packs up nicely, is very compact, and is light in weight.
- The shell is composed of blue, rip-stop polyester with black accents and is comfortable to touch.
- The black polyester liner has a soft feel to it as well.
- The stitching is tight, firm, and evenly distributed across the bag, which makes it waterproof.
- This product gives good value at an affordable price.
- The zippers are not very strong.
- The sack is small and the straps are a bit short – so, no room for much luggage.
Coleman North Rim Extreme Weather Sleeping Bag
The Coleman North Rim Extreme Weather Sleeping Bag offers ultimate comfort to users in any camping environment. It lets you sleep comfortably, even when it is 0 Fahrenheit outside. It can fit adults up to 6’2 inches in height and keep you warm from top to bottom. The drawstring adjustable hood, full-length zipper baffle, and insulated chest baffle retain warmth while the 3D foot box gives you extra room to move your feet hence providing additional comfort.
This sleeping bag ensures you get through extreme weather conditions with its 0°F temperature rating.
- It has diamond polyester with a ripstop cover
- The polyester lining is waterproof
- The special quilting construction eliminates potential cold spots.
- It is also equipped with a 2-way zipper for maximum ventilation
- A stuff sack is included for compactness and portability.
- It has a limited 5-year warranty
- It is machine washable.
- Comes at an affordable price
- The width is a bit narrow
TETON Sports TrailHead +20F Ultralight Sleeping Bag
The TETON Sports TrailHead +20F Ultralight Sleeping Bag is a mummy sleeping bag designed for comfort and weight reduction. It has a 7-denier woven fiberfill, shoulder and zipper baffles, and a drawstring hood. The bag is thin and light with a breathable, soft, double-brushed liner and Innovative PolarLite™ insulation that keeps you warm. Reviewers reckon that it has a comfort and warmth level within the 40-degree range with a temperature rating of +20 degrees Fahrenheit.
It has a diamond ripstop shell that is water-resistant and will not tear when snagged.
- It has a soft interior with both interior and exterior zippers.
- Fully taped with anti-snag designs
- Sturdy and water-resistant,
- Has a diamond ripstop shell
- It is also equipped with an inner zippered pocket to keep small items like flashlights, keys, etc.
- It compresses well in its stuff sack.
- This backpack comes at a very good price.
- Only bad for people with polyester sensitivities
OutdoorsmanLab Lightweight Camping Sleeping Bag
This sleeping bag works as a blanket when unfolded. It has a water-resistant, breathable, and crease-proof fabric with two elastic straps on the backside that ensures you stay on your sleeping pad the entire night.
It has a temperature rating of 48 to 59 degrees Fahrenheit with a polyester lining and pongee size of 73 x 29.5 inches. It weighs 760 grams and has a package size of 11.4 x 4.7 inches in its 4-compression-strap bag for maximum compact and portability. The unique built-in pillowcase lets you stuff your towel or cloth into a comfortable pillow when needed.
- High-quality zippers with anti-snags to keep the zipper from wearing out
- Plastic handles for easier operation
- Can be used as a double sleeping bag when two bags are connected
- 90 day 100% money guarantee
- Comes at an affordable price
- The width is a bit narrow
- The width between the zipper is a bit wide and could use an overlap
Kelty Tuck 22 Degree Sleeping Bag
The Kelty Tuck 22 Degree Sleeping Bag vindicates itself as one of the best backpacking sleeping bags there is with its rare features. It contains performance ThermaPro insulation designed to retain warmth and easily compresses. The fiber blend blows other synthetic insulation options on the market out of the water, by proffering easy maintenance, high loft properties, tenderness, durability, and warmth.
It is built with a 75D polyester taffeta shell and lining making it highly durable. Its long-lasting offset quilt construction helps it preserve its form and appearance even after several uses.
- Two-way locking zipper complemented by an anti-snag draft tube that makes it smooth and seamless.
- It has an accurate EN temperature rating of 22 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It compresses well in its stuff sack to ensure portability.
- With all these amazing features, it comes at an affordable price
- crooked zipper and poorly sewn-in zipper plackets which made for multiple snags when zipping
The importance of the best backpacking sleeping bags cannot be overemphasized until you spend a night in the cold woods shivering and being unable to sleep because your body is exposed to the wild cold and the dirty floors of the high country. Those who have had this experience have many regrets and if you have not, it is best you do not.
However, having given you a clear pointer on why and how to get the best backpacking sleeping bags, with some of the best products reviewed, you are safe.
Hi I am Travel lover, I travel extensively and write about my experiences. Also, I use various products and write reviews about it. That’s my hobby